Facing a divorce? Then you are looking for a good divorce attorney. While there are many out there who claim to be “good,” the quality of lawyers vary as widely as anything else in the world. That is why it is so important to take your time in finding a divorce attorney to be sure that you find the one that you can trust and that will take care of you and your needs.
What do you need to consider when looking for a divorce lawyer?
- Ask divorced friends for recommendations. They are a great asset for you, as they have been through it.
- If you have children, you will want to get an attorney that has experience in family law and custody issues.
- Are you going to need separate lawyers? How amicable are you?
- Consult with several attorneys before choosing one. This is a time for you to consult with attorneys and talk with them to find the one that you connect with.
- Ask for a fee schedule. As with anything, cost is essential.
Finding a divorce lawyer can be quite overwhelming, but it is important that you find the right one for you and your situation. Once you have narrowed down the list, call the local State Bar office and see if there have been any complaints filed against the one or ones that you are deciding between. Then you are ready to make your choice and begin your divorce proceedings.
While divorce is not something that anyone wants to go through, it is unavoidable in many situations. Finding the right divorce lawyer can go a long way to making the process much smoother for you and for your children. Take your time to find the right one and you will be on your way to living your life on your own terms and in your own way.